MT F7 Detailing

 

Index:

Body Mods

Close Coupling

Fuel Tank

Diaphragms

Head Lights & Number Boards

Side Grills

Grab Irons

Window Wipers

Brake Hoses

Horns

Lift Rings

Decals

 

Body Mods

Prototyping after Erie F7 no. 711.  Need to fill in headlight, cut out number boards, drill out marker lights, scrape off horns and replace, photo-etched pattern for side grills, drill holes for grab irons, cut out door ways for diaphragms, remove some unnecessary roof details (steam generator).

Stuff:

Info

top

 

Close Coupling

All my original units came equipped with MT couplers.  These couplers create a little too much distance between the units, so I made my own draw bars from a flat piece of brass.  I gauged the draw bar length on the pitches of the roofs, which in turn limits the turning radius of the units.  My feeling is, the closer, the better.

Bar Mods:

I used a flat piece of brass with a hole large enough to accommodate the mounting post of the coupler assembly on the MT F7 trucks.

Test Fit:

Test fit of the trucks together.

top

 

Fuel Tank

The fuel tanks on the dummy units seems a little high off the track. I glued on 0.06 inch styrene and rounded the corners.

Fuel Tanks

top

 

Diaphragms

In order to hide the wires between units, I thought of a method of how to create a semi-realistic diaphragm which would allow the units to turn freely without causing derailments.  The concept uses a piece of black latex, which is extremely flexible.

Body Cuts:

The doors on all units need to be cut out to allow our latex diaphragm to pass through.

Create a Wedge:

Cut a small piece of styrene that will fit into the doorway.  Drill two small holes and secure two brass pins in it.

Drill Holes:

Drill two small holes upwards into the door frames.  These will be used to secure the latex diaphragms.  I'm only securing the diaphragms onto one unit so that the shells will be easier to take on and off.

Test fit:

First lay the latex around the wedge to poke two small holes in it.  Then place the wedge into its location in the door frame.  File and adjust the wedge as necessary.  The square top of the wedge should also help shape the tope of the diaphragm.

Tweaking:

Place two units together and cut a mark for the bottom of the diaphragm.  Take the assembly apart to make straight cuts.  I find it easiest to press straight down on the latex with an xacto knife, otherwise you might get raged edges.  Once cut, put it back together for a test fit.  I don't feel the need to create a floor to the diaphragm, since it should mostly be blocked by the brass draw bars.

top

 

Head Lights & Number Boards

I'm using SMT golden white LEDs to power the headlight (singular since I removed one headlight to match Erie specs).  I also used white surface mount LEDs for the number boards, which are tied into an extra function on the decoder.  Another possible addition is to light up the marker lights with the last function output. 

Number Boards:

I cut out some of the shell to use the surface mount LEDs.  Then decaled the loco number on it.

Head Light:

wiring to come.

top

 

Side Grills

I found some HO metal etched roof walks at a local hobby shop, and these should work nicely.  The package has many extra parts and was a little expensive, so if you know of a better item, please contact me.

Side Grills

 

top

 

Grab Irons

Addition detail was added by creating grab irons using brass rod.

Right Side:

Info

Left Side:

Info

Front:

Info

top

 

Window Wipers

Window wipers were created from some brass rod.  This idea was posted and shared on the Z_Scale egroup.

Build It:

For the wiper arm, cut this size brass rod to this length.  For the wiper blade, cut this size brass rod to this length.  Glue them together at this angle.

Front View:

Info

top

 

Brake Hoses

Brake hoses were created using brass wire and painted.  Adding an extra thick layer of silver paint creates the effect the the hose has a coupler greater than the size of the hose iteself.

Front View:

Info

top

 

Horns

The molded horns are a little large and unrealistic to me, so these get scrapped off and replace with N scale Kato 1 chime N scale horns.  This new horns are slightly oversized, but much more realistic.  I also have Sunrise Enterprises Single Chime horn, part no. N-702, and although they are slightly smaller, the Kato versions matched the prototype.

Top View:

Kato N scale Single Chime Horns.

top

 

Lift Rings

I used Sunrise Enterprises N scale photo etched lift rings, part no. N-3000.  

Top View:

Will be installed soon.

top

 

Decals

I printed these decals as a test on my Alps MD-5000 printer.  I need to clean up the artwork a little further and print some more.

Erie Decals:

Winged logo for the front of the F7.

top